The purpose of influence is to “speak up for those who have no influence.” (Pr.31:8)
It’s not about you.” ― Rick Warren
It’s not about you! Those words seem to come up over and over in my daily life. I think it is God’s gentle reminder of where I’m suppose to keep my eyes fixed. But have you ever noticed that the more diligent you become in pursuing your purpose and striving to fulfill all God has called you to do — it begins to fill like it is about you?
There seems to be this viscous cycle of focusing on becoming better (which is focusing on ourselves) and pursuing what God has called us to do (which is serving others). The cycle goes round and round.
Yes, it spins round and round in my head as I try to grasp the balance between the two. So what do you do, when your purpose becomes all about you?
- You serve someone else through actions and words. Come back tomorrow for Stop for the One Tuesday and visit our Guest Blogger who will share how she gave a voice and lending ear to one in need.
- You search for blessings right before your very eyes, forgetting about what you lack in provision and knowledge.
And so today, I continue counting:
101. leaders who lead
102. leaders who inspire you to lead
103. the freedom to go into jails and preach God’s word
104. hugs from those longing for touch
106. a God who loves us whether we get it all right or not
107. the words “you believe in me”
108. a God who wants to erase all our guilt
109. an invitation to my daughter-to-be’s wedding shower
110. friends that step in when you need a hand
111. courage to step up again
112. a God who doesn’t seek perfection
113. the small hands of a newborn baby
114. my camera that captures life
115. a bird singing just because it has a song
116. remembering that my God is stronger
117. my God is healer
118. a smile from a stranger
119. a scented candle
120. 31 Days to a Better Blog (thanks SITS girls)
Remember to keep your eyes off yourself by serving others and counting your blessings.Yes, that’s exactly what you do when your purpose seems all about you.