I’ve been dreading this week as it will be like cutting off my right arm! It’s media week at Summer of 7 and I’m going conquer some of the excess media avenues in my life.
THIS WILL BE HARD. IT MIGHT BE WORSE THAN CLOTHES WEEK and at the end of that week you found me curled up in my closet with my computer sending you a message about my excessive pride.
While I lay out some plans here for this mutiny, I need to let you know I will be gone for the week. I was asked last minute to attend Summer Youth Camp with our group at church. I can’t even tell you how excited I am to go. Actually, I can’t wait! I’m not sure if being away is going to make this easier or harder. My gut says harder, as even while I am away I have a few things I need to coordinate via — you guessed it MEDIA. Urgh!
Before I read this blasted book 7, if you were to ask me if I were a hoarder of media, I would have easily said NO! But really taking a good look at my life, I think the answer is YES and oh. my. this. hurts.
HELLO – my name is Alene and I’m addicted to social media.
I’ll just name you what I use within a days time: (this doesn’t count every room in the house, just what I put my grubby hands on)
-iphone with 64 apps
-three email addresses
-one desktop computer
-car radio and phone system
-and I’m sure I’m forgetting something
So here is my plan for this week:
This is what I will deny from my daily media diet —
1. no use of apps, TV’s, computers, facebook, twitter, tweetdeck, pinterest, blog, or website (tears because I know you are going to miss me!)
2. no use of radio’s, or ipods (how can I get my groove on if I don’t have good tunes)
This is how I will cope (I mean, enthusiastically engage in this mutiny)
1. whatever I need to get published or out will be scheduled via programs before my week begins (I think that means I’ll be gorging on media before this week kicks-off, just sayin’)
2. use of phone, camera, and texting are permitted (no excessiveness)
3. checking email only twice a day and responding to ONLY those that are business related (tears are flowing)
4. all blogs written this week have been written and scheduled a head of time (I’ll do a recap at the end of this blasted experiment)
This is already making my heart skip a beat. In this day we live in I’m thinking I’m about to find out just how much I use technology and media throughout the day. While the conveniences of these inventions are awesome — I’m sure I’m WASTING A LOT OF TIME!
So, on your mark, get set, GO – this mutiny is ON!
Since I can’t facebook and tweet, y’all make sure you share my messages for me. :)
Hey, what are friends for?
Want to join in the fun?